Pages

Wednesday 4 June 2014

Sue's Story

Sue attends the Hospice Day Service once a week and would like to share with you her story..... 

I was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in March 2013. This was devastating news. Although I had just retired from my life long job as an art teacher, I was still incredibly active. I loved running as a form of therapy and had completed two London Marathons to raise money for breast cancer. Everything I love doing was now impossible such as, painting, sewing, walking, and knitting. My doctor suggested that I visit the Hospice in the Weald.  Like most people I imagined a hospice to be a rather grim place, with patients who were very ill. But I try to always treat every new experience as an adventure, so I came along one morning as a guest to the day centre. My apprehension was completely misplaced. What I found was a lively, happy place.

Sue working on a screen print with the help of one of our volunteers.

While you are at the day centre you are looked after by the Hospice nurses and a group of kind people who are volunteers. Everyone is welcoming which makes you feel relaxed and part of a community. Each member is assigned a particular nurse who talks to you each week to check how you are. There are different activities you can join but also art and music therapies. If metal work is more your thing then that is available as well. If like me, you can’t move your arms then someone will help you, under your instruction, they will be your hands. If you are not keen on these kind of activities you can just relax in a reclining chair and read a newspaper.

The Hospice also offers you reflexology, massages and alternative therapies not only for you but your carer. One of the marvellous volunteers is a hairdresser.  She will wash, cut, and blow dry your hair, and you can even have a manicure. So some of us leave in the afternoon feeling pampered and looking fit for anything. Added to this, when I’m at the day centre it gives my husband a break from looking after me.

We have a three course meal with a menu to suit all tastes, and there is plenty to eat with a selection ranging from a traditional roast to a round of sandwiches.

Above all the Hospice nurses and the volunteers are cheerful, caring, and fun.


All these experiences are welcome but the real reason why I keep attending the day centre is to keep my own illness in perspective and remind me that I am not alone. There other people who have just as serious conditions and we all support each other. 

1 comment:

  1. To highlight the commitment of some of our young volunteers from Tonbridge School, when Sue could no longer work on art work on a table in front of her one of the lads designed and made her a special frame so she could continue to produce art work.

    ReplyDelete