Pages

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Ken's Story



My name is Ken Miles.  I’m 69 years old and have been retired for 5 years.  For the last 4 ½ years I have been a volunteer at the Hospice in the Weald.

I first became aware of the work at the Hospice when a friend of mine was admitted to the InPatient Unit for the last few weeks of his life.  I determined then, after seeing the work and caring from the Hospice staff, that when I retired I would in some small way give my time to help out. 

I regularly work on a Wednesday and divide my time between driving patients to and from the Hospice Day Service (in the minibus) and being a general Hospice Day Service Volunteer.  I help to serve the patients lunches and make them drinks and generally chat with them throughout their day.  It is the one time of the week when I can totally forget about myself and concentrate on others. 

I have always found the staff really caring towards the patients and the atmosphere has always been really positive.  It is a joy to come to work!  So if you would like to volunteer at the Hospice in the Weald in any capacity then please click here to see all our volunteer roles you can help with!


Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment