Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Wendy's Story



I have been attending the Day Service at the Hospice on and off since just after New Year 2014, when I was feeling a little blue.  I have had MS for about 18 years, starting with the relapsing/remitting form, which became secondary progressive about 7/8 years ago.  I have been using my electric wheelchair full time for about the last 5 years and was feeling a little isolated, especially on those deep, dark winter days that drag on once Xmas has been and gone.  I needed to get out, but where?  I cannot keep going shopping!  Then I saw a page in the local paper, Hospice in the Weald wanted to extend their reach, to help people with long term chronic conditions, so I called.  A very nice lady, one of the community nurses, popped in to see me at home, to have a chat about my circumstances and to see if I was a suitable candidate to join the Hospice Day Service.  She said she would discuss my case with her colleagues back at the Hospice and get back to me, which she did a couple of weeks later.  

It was decided that 12 weeks on, 12 weeks off would be a good combination for me and a date was set.  I must confess to being a little apprehensive to start: what would it be like?  I don't know anyone.  Would it depress me?  This isn't me.  Finally the day arrived......oh well, best give it a try......

Well, I needn't have worried; straight away everyone was so warm, friendly and welcoming, and so upbeat and positive.  There were nurses in the Day Service itself, who spent time asking questions and getting to know me and who enquire about any specific problems or concerns I had.  They make it so easy to discuss anything, and pick up quickly if there's a problem.  Then there are our wonderful, chatty, bright volunteers, everyone is so kind.

I haven't looked back!  I've made friends, done various arts and crafts (some good, some not so good), I cycle on the power bike every week when I can, been entertained and am very well fed!  

My 12 weeks were up mid summer when I had a break, but started back at the Day Service in September, when there were some old faces, but also some new ones. Upon returning I enquired about the possibility of some respite care, mainly to give my husband a well deserved break, we all know our health issues affect not only us but the whole family, and I was added to the list.  Mid October I was offered my week of respite, the first since being diagnosed.  Again, I was a little apprehensive, but again I needn't have worried.  The nurses and all the staff on the In Patient Unit were equally as friendly and welcoming.  Nothing was too much trouble, I felt so well looked after and spoilt.


So, a big big 'THANK YOU' to all of the Hospice in the Weald staff; nurses in the Day Service, nurses on the ward, assistants, carers, volunteers, chefs, catering, admin and cleaning staff too! - I hope I haven't left anyone out....oh, the ladies on reception and the ambulance crew!  Oh, and the volunteers who keep the gardens so beautiful. Thank you, thank you for making my life better and more bearable, thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment