Pages

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Kate's Story

You may have read Kate's story in our Autumn newsletter.  We have received emails from supporters that have been truly touched by Kate's Hospice experience so, for those of you that may have missed it, we wanted to share her story again today... 



Kate’s Story - Nothing but Support 

‘My first experience of the Hospice was as an outpatient.

I attended counselling sessions to help me with accepting how I felt about my diagnosis.  These visits allowed me to address my fears about crossing the threshold of the place I have decided I want to end my days.

I was given access to reflexology and met Nell, the Creative Artist, to work on a personal project for my daughter.

I was then referred to the Hospice Day Service.  On my first day, because I look so well volunteers and patients greeted me as a new volunteer helper.  I felt such a fraud and felt other people should take my place.  Nonetheless I was encouraged to come back, for which I am so grateful.

One of the biggest benefits of attending the Day Service is the support you gain from your peers.  It has made me realize that terminal cancer is not the worst thing that could happen to a person and I have gained so much strength and inspiration from other patients.

There has been so much fun and laughter around the craft table.  We also have access to reflexology, reiki, hairdressing and manicures to benefit body image issues, counselling and the opportunity to see a nurse each week to discuss any health issues and symptoms.The Gathering run by Liza, the Chaplain at the Hospice is non-denominational and so even spiritual people like myself can attend and just take the time for reflection.

I have also had the opportunity to discuss my funeral plans, which have been very important to me to get organised.

I have attended a Creative Family Saturday session, on a Saturday morning with my daughter.  This was very beneficial as I think she had pre-conceived an idea, like many people do, of what a Hospice is.

I am continuing to work on a scrapbook of memories for my family and friends and am so grateful I can do such important things away from home with people that understand my need for preparation without upsetting my family.'

No comments:

Post a Comment